Information collected and how it’s used


If you are accessing counselling then I will need to collect some relevant information from you. The following information will help to identify information about your health condition Obtaining sensitive information will help to understand the level of support you require and is considered “good practice” under the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions formally adopted 1st July 2016. To learn more about this click External link opens in new tab or windowhere  


The legal basis for collecting and processing data will be through both consent and explicit consent under Article 6.1.a and 9.2.a of GDPR which is deem to be necessary for legitimate interests to provide a counselling service.


This information will include


Personal Information

First name

Family name or surname


Telephone numbers

Date of birth

Email address




Sensitive Information

GP details

Physical or mental health conditions

Medication details

Risk assessment information.


How will I use your information?


To help plan services for your support

For maintaining records

To prevent and detect crime

To protect you and other people

To collate statistical information

To account for decisions and investigate complaints

To respond to any enquiries you make


What is consent


Consent is being provided by yourself. If someone makes contact with me on your behalf I will ask them to obtain your consent before passing your details on. If your employer is funding the counselling I will ask that your explicit consent is obtained before passing your details onto me.


You have a right to withdraw your consent at any time and can do this by contacting us by:


·       email us at

·       call us on 07833460392

·       write to at, Suite 5, Tower House Business Centre, Fishergate, York, YO10 4UA


How to access my service?.


You can contact me by email or by phone for an initial brief consultation. I would ask a little about what you would want to work on in counselling and your availability before booking an appointment. It by be that you might like to know a little more about me and I’m happy to provide any further information during that call.


During the first appointment which is called an assessment, I may ask for information that will include information relating to aspects of your health, both physical, mental and emotional that might be impacting on your health. I may also ask you about your family circumstances, cultural issues, general interests in life and any other factors that are considered relevant to understanding your needs in order that I can provide an appropriate treatment plan.


It is important that you understand that you can choose not to provide this information but in doing so means, I  may not be able to offer a treatment plan that best suits your needs. At the end of the assessment appointment, I will discuss with you a plan of action and talk you through the next steps. If a treatment plan has been agreed, we can agree on further appointments.


How do I keep your information secure?


I recognise that the information you provide may be of a sensitive nature and your confidentiality will be respected at all times. I will store confidential information securely and control who has access to it.

I want to make sure that your data are stored and transferred in a way which is secure. I will therefore only transfer data outside of the European Union (EU) (i.e. the Member States of the European Union, together with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) where it is compliant with data protection legislation and the means of transfer provides adequate safeguards in relation to your data, for example:

- by way of data transfer agreement, incorporating the current standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission for the transfer of personal data by data controllers in the EU to data controllers and processors in jurisdictions without adequate data protection laws; or

- by signing up to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework for the transfer of personal data from entities in the EU to entities in the United States of America or any equivalent agreement in respect of other jurisdictions; or

- transferring your data to a country where there has been a finding of adequacy by the European Commission in respect of that country's levels of data protection via its legislation; or

- where it is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract between ourselves and a third party and the transfer is in your interests for the purposes of that contract (for example, if we need to transfer data outside the EU in order to meet our obligations under that contract if you are a client of ours); or

- where you have consented to the data transfer

How do I share your information?

To provide the service to you I may need to share some of your personal data with other third parties, this is for


·       To allow administration tasks

·       Where required to provide a treatment plan.

·       In anonymised form as part of statistics data to assist organisations to improve and develop services

·       To comply with legal obligations.

·       Where you have given your consent to share information with third parties.


I will only share your information with third parties that I use on a limited basis following due diligence and in accordance with my internal procedures.


How do I deal with corrections and concerns?

If you believe the information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, or if you have concerns about how we are handling your personal information, please contact us


·       email us at

·       call us on 07833460392

·       write to at, Suite 5, Tower House Business Centre, Fishergate, York, YO10 4UA


Or you can contact the Information Commission Office at the following External link opens in new tab or windowlink


How to make a complaint?


If you would like to make a complaint about my services, please contact me:


·       email us at

·       call us on 07833460392

·       write to at, Suite 5, Tower House Business Centre, Fishergate, York, YO10 4UA


 If you are not happy with the way we have been processing your personal data, or you think that we have not dealt with one of your rights correctly when you have asked us to, you may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).  The ICO has several ways in which you can get in touch with them, including post, email, and online forms.  To find out how click External link opens in new tab or windowhere.


How to access your information and what are your rights?


You have various rights in relation to how I process your personal data.

·       You can access the personal data we keep about you and be given specific information about the processing.

·       You can ask us to update inaccurate personal data we hold about you.

·       You can ask us to delete your personal data but only when specific grounds apply.

·       You can ask us to restrict the processing of your personal data, for example, if you are contesting the accuracy of it.

·       You can object to the processing of your personal data if you do not agree with our legitimate interest grounds and for direct marketing purposes.

·       You can transfer your personal data from us to another service provider but only when certain grounds apply.

I do not undertake any automated decision-making, including profiling.

Should you wish to access these rights please contact me by

·       email us at

·       call us on 07833460392

·       write to at, Suite 5, Tower House Business Centre, Fishergate, York, YO10 4UA


Do I have a right to be forgotten?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a right to be forgotten unless I need to keep your data, for example, to comply with a legal obligation. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please contact me and I will take reasonable steps to delete your information as soon as possible unless there are specific reasons that I need to keep it.


What is our retention Policy?

Your data will be kept no longer than considered reasonably necessary and for no longer than 7 years.